Where has Liz Truss been for the last 10+ years
Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, came to the fore in announcing sanctions on Russia last week.
- She said that the oligarchs were “complicit in Putin’s aggression”.
- She said that their presence in the UK “shamed” the nation.
- She said that they had “blood on their hands”.
Strong words, but I trust that most of the British people will have met them with a simple question of their own:
- What planet have you been on these past ten years?
- Where were the sanctions when it became clear in the High Court that Abramovich had amassed his wealth through a “rigged” auction?
- Where were the sanctions when oligarchs, in cahoots with a corrupt political class, gained the mineral wealth of the Russian people at a fraction of its true value?
- Where were the sanctions when evidence emerged that the London laundromat had offered a green light to Putin and his gang to plunder more money from the Russian people, confident that it could be recycled in Mayfair?
Today, Truss says that the oligarchs have blood on their hands.
But where does that leave the party that snaffled Russian cash?
Full article in The Times –
In their pious anger our leaders risk weakening the rule of law further
The Economic Crime Bill must not undermine the right of appeal — even from unpleasant oligarchs