OFAC announce most extensive set of sanctions ever imposed over corruption.
According to Executive Order 13818 (Global Magnitsky sanctions), 3 Bulgarian nationals and 64 entities sanctioned and 5 publicly designated
OFAC has designated
- Vassil Kroumov Bojkov (businessman and oligarch),
- Delyan Slavchev Peevski (former Member of Parliament) and
- Ilko Dimitrov Zhelyazkov (a senior official in the National Bureau for Control on Special intelligence-gathering Devices),
- X58 entities owned or controlled by Bojkov or one of his companies, and
- X6 entities owned or controlled by Peevski or one of his companies.
The above re alleged to have engaged in bribery of public officials and played an “extensive role in corruption in Bulgaria”.
OFAC has said that these designations are the most extensive set of sanctions ever imposed over corruption.
- Press Release https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0208
The Department of State has also publicly designated Peevski and Zhelyazkov, as well as Alexander Manolev, Petar Haralampiev and Krasimir Tomov, under Section 7031(c) of the Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act 2021 (travel ban) due to their alleged involvement in significant corruption.
The immediate families of the above are also subject to a travel ban.
- See Press Release. https://www.state.gov/public-designation-of-five-bulgarian-public-officials-due-to-involvement-in-significant-corruption/