NCSC's cyber security FREE training for staff is now available
The NCSC's e-learning package 'Top Tips For Staff' can be completed online or built into your training platform.
The NCSC's recent work with small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), charities, and the legal and accountancy sectors have highlighted a key issue for those organisations.
There is so much cyber security advice available these days many people find it hard to know where to start.
Some organisations struggle to explain why cyber security is something that all staff should care about and focus on
Even larger organisations (with dedicated training resources) find it difficult to explain the technical aspects of cyber security in relevant ways to their staff so that they can help keep their organisations (and themselves) safe from cyber-attacks.
Equally, many SMEs and charities may not have the resources to implement cyber security policies and training, leaving staff exposed as their frontline defence against cyber-attacks.
For these reasons, the NCSC has produced an e-learning training package: 'Staying Safe Online: Top Tips for Staff'.
It's free, easy to use and takes less than 30 minutes to complete. The training introduces why cyber security is important and how attacks happen and then covers four key areas:
- Defending yourself against phishing
- Using strong passwords
- Securing your devices
- Reporting incidents ('if in doubt, call it out)
The training is
- Aimed at SMEs, charities and the voluntary sector but can be applied to any organisation, regardless of size or sector.
- Designed for a non-technical audience (who may have little or no knowledge of cyber security), with tips that complement existing policies and procedures.
How to use the 'Top Tips for Staff' training
There are two options for using the e-learning package:
- The first (and easiest) way is to direct your staff to the Stay Safe Online: Top Tips for Staffor Gadw'n ddiogel ar-lein: Prif awgrymiadau i staff pages on the NCSC website.
- The free package includes a short quiz at the end, with links to further reading.
- No login is required - click on the link and start learning.
- The other way is to integrate the package into your organisation's training platform.
- You can do this by downloading the zip file from our website. The file you download will depend on your organisation's LMS system.
- There are English and Welsh versions available, which contains the package as a SCORM-compliant file. We have also created an API version as an alternative to help users who have been unable to use SCORM.
Once imported into your own LMS system, you can tweak the package to suit your needs (such as setting a pass rate for the quiz), as the content is covered by the
Also, there is infographic summarises the core messages from the training which you're a
For the best quality, please download the PDF version. https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/files/staff_training_infographic_3.pdf