JFSC said:- – CDD and VIDEO CERTIFICATION
Q1 “Video verification.”
- Can you explain why the passport photo is not adequate rather than just saying that it is not within the safe harbour?
- If we receive the KYC documents in question via email, and then the same documents are presented in the video call; Is this sufficient?
- The details of the presented documents are cross-checked live on the live video call.
JFSC SAY “Video verification.”
- The “safe harbours” are designed to indicate what may be considered “obtaining evidence of identity from a reliable and independent source”.
- While safe harbours are not mandatory, they set a clear line in the sand that indicates our expectations.
- Any alternative method needs to be demonstrably as effective and robust as the safe harbours.
- This will be difficult to demonstrate if the alternative method looks very similar to a safe harbour but lacks some of the key controls incorporated into the safe harbour.
- Obtaining a photo of a passport (or viewing a passport in a video call) clearly does not incorporate the controls that are set out in the safe harbours.
- Such methods would need further or alternative safeguards or controls to be considered equally effective.