Analysing the UK Register
Do we really know who own thousands of UK companies. In 2018 Global witness found *:
- 4.1 million companies are now on the beneficial ownership register (3.7 million of these have disclosed at least one beneficial owner).
- 4 thousand beneficial owners are listed under the age of 2, including one who has yet to be born.
- While technically entrepreneurial toddlers can be listed as beneficial owners, it seems impossible that they could be exercising effective control over the company right now.
- Over 40% of the beneficial owners of Scottish Limited Partnerships (SLPs) are either a national of a former-Soviet country** or a company incorporated there.
- This compares to just 0.1% of all Limited Companies (by far the most widely used UK company type), and provides clear evidence that some types of companies are heavily marketed to citizens of former Soviet countries.
- 5 beneficial owners control more than 6,000 companies raising the question of whether some of these individuals are simply stooges put in place by the real owners.
* This analysis was undertaken with a snapshot of the data from Companies House accurate as of 24/1/2018
**Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine or Uzbekistan